Exercise is essential to maintain good physical shape and overall health. But often we refuse them for what we think are compelling reasons: it requires a lot of time, financial costs and systematicity. The latter really determines the result of the lessons to a large extent. But for those who do not want to spend money and sweat for hours over iron, there is such an excellent type of training as race walking.
We walk and lose weight
This type of aerobic exercise is a godsend for those who care about their figure and want to say goodbye to extra pounds. The main idea of such activities is brisk walking, which should not turn into running. In this case, it is necessary that one foot is constantly in contact with the ground. In this case, the step will be slightly longer than during normal walking, and the speed will fluctuate within 6-9 km / h.
How much can you burn by actively doing this kind of sport? The number of calories burned directly depends on three factors:
- your weight;
- hand work.
The less you weigh, the less calories you can burn. But it is worth considering that by increasing the pace, this value will increase quite a bit, therefore, to enhance the effect, it is better to increase the duration of the workout.
Also, the level of load is influenced by the terrain on which you move. On level ground or asphalt, you will burn fewer calories than if you have to overcome hills and humps.
Benefits of classes
Why is race walking so useful? There are a number of undeniable advantages.
- This is one of the least traumatic sports. The load on the spine is small due to the soft touch of the feet to the ground, and active movements of the arms and legs are not subject to external stress. If you constantly keep your back straight, you can even get rid of the excruciating pain in the spine.
- You don’t need to spend a lot of money. You don’t have to buy a gym membership or pay a coach for private lessons. It will be enough to buy sportswear and comfortable sneakers, which will be enough for you for more than one year.
- Help relieve stress. If your work involves hard mental or physical work, then sooner or later a feeling of fatigue comes, followed by stress, and even depression. Walking will help to overcome them. Just 20 minutes a day will make you more balanced, calm and energized. The secret is in rhythmic breathing and monotony of movements that return the correct balance to the nervous system.
- All parts of the body work. It is a mistake to believe that this type of aerobic exercise will help to make only legs slim. After all, the load is evenly distributed on both the lower and upper body, which is important for losing weight.
- The work of the cardiovascular system improves. Medical studies have shown that those who engage in race walking have a 30% reduction in the risk of heart attacks and serious heart disease.
But this sport also has its drawbacks, including:
- Special footwear. You still have to spend money on it. Sneakers must support the arch of the foot, otherwise you will not avoid pain in your legs. This is especially true if you are used to walking in heels every day. Exercising in regular athletic shoes can cause heel pain.
- Equipped area for classes. Unfortunately, there is not always a safe place where you can safely practice race walking. And weather conditions can significantly affect the number and duration of workouts.
- Monotone. This often discourages those who want to lose weight and just keep in shape. But if you diversify your activities by listening to your favorite music or find yourself a partner, then they will cease to be so boring.
Before you start doing race walking, you should come for a consultation with a qualified trainer who will tell you about the peculiarities of the technique of performing movements. It is important that the supporting leg is always straight – from the moment it touches the ground until the moment the body is transferred to a given point.
Take care of your health, go in for sports, be slim and beautiful!