Perhaps everyone knows what fitness is. And some even do it regularly. And it has become so firmly established in our life that today programs have been developed for literally everyone: for obese people, for the elderly, for pregnant women, and so on. And not so long ago, fitness for children appeared. And what is it? And will the activities be beneficial for your child?
What is it?
What is kids fitness? These are sports activities, developed in a special way, taking into account the characteristics of the child’s body and including elements of yoga, aerobics, health-improving gymnastics, swimming and even martial arts. If fitness for adults is intended, first of all, to improve the body and reduce weight, then the main tasks of children are the formation and consolidation of basic motor skills, increased physical activity and, of course, health improvement.
Advantages and disadvantages
Benefits of Kids Fitness:
- Classes have the most positive effect on the health of the child. Thus, the work of the respiratory, cardiovascular, muscular and nervous systems, as well as the musculoskeletal system, improves.
- During training, the child will be able to throw out his energy, the excess of which, by the way, often greatly interferes with learning and in life, in general.
- In the classroom, the child will be able to find new friends, as well as gain communication skills and learn how to interact with other children.
- It’s fun! Usually, training takes place in a relaxed playful way, so that all children have fun and have fun.
- Children’s fitness promotes diversified development. So, he trains memory and coordination, develops logical thinking, increases reaction speed and concentration. Physical skills are also improved. Agility and flexibility appear. And classes also increase endurance, significantly improve coordination and even discipline. In addition, exercises can include elements of choreography, so that the child will acquire a sense of rhythm and grace (this is especially important for girls).
- It is safe! Firstly, the elements are selected taking into account the characteristics of the child’s body, and secondly, each movement is controlled by an experienced instructor who can immediately correct mistakes and avoid damage. And thirdly, even if the injury is received, it will not be significant, and the coach will immediately provide first aid. So, children’s fitness classes are safer than walking on the street and going to playgrounds.
- The program is designed in such a way that the baby will not overstrain.
As for the disadvantages, there is only one – the rather high cost of classes.
Does your child need it?
Should you enroll your child in children’s fitness? There are no clear indications, but the following can be attributed to conditional ones:
- Hyperactivity. If your baby is hyperactive, then in the classroom he will throw out his energy, because they are intended for this.
- Lack of physical activity. If the child does not move much, then this needs to be urgently corrected, since a decrease in activity can lead to developmental disorders and even to some diseases.
- Lack of communication with other children and lack of socialization skills. For example, if for some reason the kid does not attend kindergarten, then in fitness classes he will be able to learn how to interact with peers.
- Weak immunity. Regular exercise will help improve your health.
- Some diseases. A specially designed program will help solve some problems such as flat feet, decreased muscle tone, and so on.
At what age can a child study?
Most fitness clubs accept children over 2-3 years old. And only in some centers are classes for the little ones, but usually parents of babies also attend them.
Are there any contraindications?
Children’s fitness has no absolute contraindications, because, in fact, training is not one specific program, but different variations that can include a wide variety of exercises. And all the elements are developed taking into account the characteristics and requirements of the child’s body. In addition, you can choose suitable classes and enroll in a profile group.
For example, babies with asthma are contraindicated in intense exertion and complex exercises, but swimming and yoga are very useful. And in case of joint diseases, it is worth minimizing the load on them and avoiding strength exercises.
In order to identify possible contraindications and choose a suitable program, it is worth taking the child to the pediatrician for an examination and recommendations for safe and useful training.
How are the lessons going?
Children’s fitness classes are taught by an experienced instructor with a pedagogical education. Usually a group includes about 10-15 people. All babies are assigned by age. Also, in most clubs, when selecting a program and assigning to a particular group, the child’s diseases, as well as skills and abilities, are taken into account. To identify those, diagnostics are usually carried out.
The workout begins with a warm-up, then the main part follows. It can include elements of aerobics, gymnastics, dancing, yoga, step aerobics, martial arts, as well as strength exercises, exercises with a rope, fitball and other sports equipment, stretching elements and exercises on simulators (of course, gentle and non-intensive). All movements are controlled by the coach, mistakes are immediately corrected. Usually classes are held in a playful way.
As for the duration of one workout, it will depend on age. So, one lesson with kids aged 2-3 to 4 years lasts about 20 or 30 minutes. Children from 5 to 10 years old study for 30-40 minutes. A workout for children over 11-12 years old can last 40-60 minutes. The frequency of classes will also be different. Toddlers do 1-2 times a week, and older kids attend workouts 2-3 times.
Health and successful training for your young athlete!