If you want to get rid of excess weight, then you probably know that without sports, getting an ideal figure will not work. But, playing sports, you need to eat right. Athletes, for example, use special sports nutrition. Will it help you lose weight? Let’s figure it out!
Who needs sports nutrition and does it need it, in general?
Previously, it was believed that sports nutrition is necessary only for men and only for those of them who want to build muscle mass. But those days are long gone, and today special supplements can be used not only by professional athletes, but also by ordinary people who dream of a beautiful figure. In addition, such nutrition will also be very beneficial for women.
Some people think that special additives can be dispensed with. In fact, you can. But are you sure that the foods that you usually eat have everything your body needs?
And if the fate is that when losing weight, many follow diets that imply significant restrictions, and also go in for sports, then the needs increase significantly. This is understandable, because some dietary products do not contain so many carbohydrates, proteins, fats, as well as vitamins, macro- and microelements and minerals.
And increased loads during training is an additional expenditure of energy. And the organism must take this very energy from somewhere. But it is imperative that it is correct. So, sports nutrition contains everything that is needed for the proper functioning of muscles and the whole body as a whole, as well as for the normalization of metabolic processes (this is extremely important for weight loss).
Who needs this kind of nutrition? For all those who want to lose weight, go in for sports (not necessarily professionally) and have a body fat of more than 3 centimeters.
How does it work?
Most sports supplements contain proteins in their composition, which, firstly, enable normal muscle function, and, secondly, are building blocks for almost all cells in the body. And proteins in sports nutrition are correct, they are easily absorbed and go where you need to.
In addition, carbohydrates are needed for energy. But they are not all the same. Some of them are assimilated at once, and some of them go to the “reserve”. Others are absorbed gradually, giving the necessary energy and at the same time being expended gradually, but completely (so that there will be no surplus).
And also, weight loss directly depends on metabolism, or rather on its speed. If the metabolism is fast, then the fat will burn faster, with a slow metabolism, the weight will increase (especially with excess consumption of fats and carbohydrates). And sports supplements help to normalize metabolism.
What is sports nutrition?
What is sports nutrition for weight loss? There are a lot of additives on sale, we list the main and most common:
- Fat burners, as the name implies, allow you to get rid of existing fatty deposits. Another name for additives from this group is thermogenics. Such nutrition has an effect due to which heat production increases and metabolism is accelerated. As a result, fats begin to actively burn. The influence is also on the nervous system, due to which the appetite decreases. In addition, such supplements significantly increase the efficiency of training and prevent fat from being absorbed in the digestive system.
- L-carnitine is a unique substance. In effect, it is similar to a fat burner, but it is not. It cannot be attributed to vitamins either. L-carnitine can significantly increase the permeability of cell membranes, which allows fatty acids to be quickly released and penetrate into mitochondria, where fats are actively burned. That is, the substance itself does not burn fat, but it facilitates the transport of fats to where they should be burned. There are practically no contraindications and side effects, but the effectiveness is practically reduced to zero if you do not combine the intake of L-carnitine-based supplements with aerobic exercise. By the way, this substance also has some other effects on the body: it increases endurance and stress resistance, helps to eliminate toxins from the body, allows you to build muscle mass under the condition of intense training, strengthens blood vessels and heart muscle, removes harmful cholesterol, and also saturates all cells with oxygen.
- Protein, in fact, is a protein, and it is also very necessary and important for losing weight. If protein is not enough, then during exercise, the body will use muscles as a source of energy. In this case, the fats will remain in place. Protein complexes contain special proteins that are released slowly, which allows you to saturate and nourish your muscles not only during workouts, but also after them. In addition, it is worth noting that proteins with a slow release period are consumed only for the work of the muscular system, and cannot be “stored”.
- Many people use the BCAA complex for weight loss. It contains several essential amino acids at once, such as valine, isoleucine and leucine. In such supplements, there are few calories, but the effect is in several directions at once. First, catabolic processes are inhibited. What is catabolism? In fact, this is the breakdown of muscle proteins, which will inevitably occur after training with a lack of protein and unhealthy diet. Secondly, this complex will allow you to control and suppress appetite. And, thirdly, when consumed, the percentage of fat in the body will decrease.
- Vitamins for the body in conditions of weight loss are also extremely necessary, because the restrictions associated with the diet do not allow you to get everything you need. There are special vitamin and mineral complexes designed specifically for those who want to lose weight, follow diets and play sports. The combination of components is selected in such a way that when taken, fats will be consumed faster due to the acceleration of metabolism, the muscles will receive everything they need, and the body will not experience a deficiency of certain substances.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can also be used for weight loss. They help lower cholesterol levels, improve the functioning of blood vessels, heart and brain, strengthen muscles, and normalize metabolism. These acids are not synthesized in the body, so it is extremely important to consume them.
- Blockers of carbohydrates and fats. Such additives act in such a way that the enzymes involved in the breakdown and processing of carbohydrates and fats are blocked, as a result of which all this remains practically unchanged and leaves the body, rather than remaining in it.
- Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is also used, which helps to build and strengthen muscles, reduces adipose tissue, as well as strengthens the immune system and normalizes the cardiovascular system.
- A blocker of the hormone cortisol interferes with the synthesis of this very hormone. Cortisol is harmful for weight loss, as it takes part in the process of fat formation and at the same time can destroy muscle tissue.
Tips for use
Some helpful tips:
- Each supplement has its own pros and cons, as well as side effects and contraindications. So, before choosing a food, go through the examination and consult with a specialist.
- It will be better if the regimen is adjusted by a nutritionist or personal trainer. Of course, detailed instructions are attached to any supplement, but after all, each organism has its own characteristics.
- Do not take these supplements all the time, your body may just get used to them.
- Follow your drinking regimen, as a lack of fluid can lead to dehydration. At least 2-2.5 liters are required per day. But you should not abuse it, edema is also dangerous.
- Eat right! Give up unhealthy foods, eat more grains, vegetables, berries and fruits, as well as lean fish and meat.
Where to buy and how much does it cost?
Where to buy sports nutrition? It is best in a specialty store or pharmacy (although it is not always available there). The price of supplements can be different and range from 300-400 rubles to 1500-3000 per package. It is better to refuse from too cheap drugs, there is a great risk of stumbling upon a fake or low-quality product.
Eat healthy and exercise. And special nutrition will help you achieve your goal.