The weight loss system, which was developed by the American nutritionist Robert Atkins, has long been recognized throughout the world as one of the most effective methods. Its creation was preceded by a number of studies of the metabolic process. The main goal of such a system is to create such conditions for the body in which it “learns” to use its own reserves of fat cells.
Low Calorie System Will Help You Lose Weight Fast
The Atkins diet is also called Hollywood, because it is thanks to her that many movie and show business stars are in excellent shape. Its main rule is to limit the intake of carbohydrates. But the amount of proteins and fats can be safely left in the usual amount. This food system has many adherents and opponents, but first, let’s understand its essence.
The Atkins diet has several phases, the sequence of which must be strictly followed.
Its duration is 14 days. The goal is to influence the course of chemical processes in the body by changing them in the right direction. There are four basic rules for this phase.
- The daily diet should include 5 meals. Between them should not pass more than 6 hours, but not less than 2.
- The amount of carbohydrates allowed is 20 grams per day. The amount of fat and protein is not limited, but you should not overeat.
- You need to take care of the saturation of the body with water. Therefore, the norm for a day is 2 liters of clean, non-carbonated water, and a complete rejection of any sweet and alcoholic drinks.
- You can not also eat flour, sweet, vegetables containing a large amount of starch, seeds and nuts.
An example menu suitable for the first phase might look like this:
- In the morning on an empty stomach, drink a glass of water.
- For breakfast, you can make an omelet, a slice of fish, drink a cup of tea without sugar.
- For a second breakfast, flakes with low-fat yogurt (about 100 g) are suitable.
- Drink another glass of water half an hour before lunch.
- Lunch can consist of rice and a slice of baked beef.
- For dinner, you can cook baked fish or chicken.
During the first two weeks, significant changes in metabolism should occur in the body, so you can move on to the next level of cleansing the body. At this time, you need to increase the amount of carbohydrates gradually, adding 5 grams as long as you continue to lose weight.
When you notice that the process of weight loss has stabilized, and the scales constantly show the same value, or you have gained too much, it is worth noting for yourself the maximum allowable amount of carbohydrates.
The duration of this phase can last as long as it takes you to gain a comfortable weight. At the second stage, you can already afford a small amount of products previously prohibited – vegetables, sweet fruits, alcohol, bread.
Its task is to maintain the acquired state of the body and shape. It is worth monitoring your diet, excluding unhealthy foods and “fast carbohydrates” from it, exercising regularly and, having determined the optimal weight for yourself, not deviate from the norm by more than 3 kg.
- The main plus is the gradual weight loss, during which you will not suffer from unbearable hunger, because you can eat a lot of familiar foods.
- Eating carbohydrates affects a person’s blood sugar levels, thus making you feel hungry from time to time. Restriction of carbohydrates leads to the fact that sugar remains in a certain stable rate, and a person does not have to constantly look for snacks, and also suffer from attacks of headaches and irritability that appear due to hunger.
- The results of the diet will surely please those who are going to lose more than 10 kg and are afraid of saggy skin. Protein that is allowed to be consumed contributes to the preservation of muscle tissue.
- A gradual diet makes it possible to listen to the body, find the right nutritional norms and foods that will really benefit.
There are also disadvantages
Many physicians have already disputed the benefits of Dr. Atkins’ nutritional system for weight loss, focusing on its dangers to the body. Among the main disadvantages are the following:
- Carbohydrates are capable of retaining water, and in conditions of their absence or low consumption, the body quickly loses the necessary reserves. Therefore, people suffering from kidney and liver diseases should refuse such a diet.
- Due to insufficient consumption of carbohydrate food, a person can begin to suffer from headaches, become irritable, absent-minded, get tired quickly, because the brain needs glucose for normal activity.
- An unbalanced diet can cause constipation, so it is important to make up for the lack of nutrients with the help of vitamin complexes.
As with any diet, Dr. Atkins’ nutritional system requires prior consultation with a doctor. And if a low-carbohydrate diet is not contraindicated for your body, then in a few months you will learn to understand what and in what quantities your body needs. Thus, you will not only lose weight, but also be able to prevent many diseases.