Sports are very useful, but not for everyone and not always. So, in some diseases and pathological conditions, increased physical activity is contraindicated. Is it possible to play sports with hypotension? And how to do it correctly without harm to health?
What is hypotension?
There are two main types of hypotension: muscle and arterial. Each is worth telling in detail.
Muscle hypotension is a decrease in muscle tone and strength. Most often, it is diagnosed in children, moreover, in the first years of life, but in adults it rarely occurs. Often, this condition is not an independent disease, but only a consequence of some kind of disease.
Causes of muscle hypotension include congenital malformations and diseases such as Down syndrome, spinal muscular atrophy, Rett syndrome, teratogenesis, cerebellar ataxia, sensory integration dysfunction, dyspraxia, and so on.
Also, some infectious diseases (encephalitis, poliomyelitis, botulism, meningitis) and autoimmune diseases (myasthenia gravis, celiac disease) can lead to the development of muscle hypotension. In addition, among the causes there are toxic lesions and poisoning with heavy metals and some poisons, neurological problems, craniocerebral trauma, metabolic disorders (rickets, hypervitaminosis).
The main symptom of muscle hypotonia is muscle weakness and the inability to perform physical exercises (even simple ones), and sometimes even habitual actions. Speech disorders, absent-mindedness, constipation may also occur. The manifestations will depend on the severity and characteristics of the disease causing the hypotension.
Treatment should be aimed primarily at eliminating the cause of the pathological condition, as well as strengthening muscle tissue. Massage and some other procedures are effective, for example, electromagnetic therapy, acupuncture, electrophoresis and others.
Special therapeutic gymnastic exercises are useful. In some cases, a special diet may be required. Sometimes drugs are prescribed to increase muscle tone.
Arterial hypotension (it is more correct to call it hypotension) is a decrease in blood pressure by 20% or more from the initial and normal for a person.
Possible causes of hypotension: stomach ulcer, anemia, vegetative-vascular dystonia, diabetes mellitus, tumors of the brain and some other organs, shock, cirrhosis of the liver, trauma of the brain or spinal cord, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, pancreatitis, hepatitis, decreased blood volume in the body (it may be associated with internal bleeding and large blood loss), neuroses, depression, stress, panic attacks, intracranial hypertension, heart failure, certain vascular diseases, decreased function of the thyroid gland or adrenal glands, lack of certain substances, increased physical or mental stress, intake some drugs, a sharp change in climatic conditions.
The main signs are:
- drowsiness, weakness, lethargy in the morning and at the end of the working day, increased fatigue;
- mood swings, irritability, emotional instability, apathy;
- hypersensitivity to any changes in weather conditions;
- memory impairment, decreased concentration, distraction;
- violations of thermoregulation: increased sweating, cold extremities;
- pallor of the skin;
- increased heart rate, shortness of breath, especially after increased physical exertion;
- nausea, a tendency to rapid motion sickness while moving by transport;
- dizziness, darkening of the eyes, lightheadedness, and even fainting;
- headaches (usually dull, tightening or bursting, localized in the temporal or parietal zone).
Treatment of arterial hypotension should be aimed, first of all, at eliminating the causes of this condition.
Tonic drinks such as caffeine or ginkgo biloba can be used to relieve symptoms. Herbal preparations containing extracts of ginseng, echinacea, lemongrass, immortelle, and so on are usually used to increase blood pressure.
Some procedures and hardware methods can be applied, such as acupressure, darsonvalization, aeroionotherapy, reflexology, electromagnetic therapy, and so on. Treatment with folk remedies is possible. Decoctions of eleutherococcus, hawthorn and other plants are used.
The correct way of life plays an important role. Its main principles:
- Fractional and balanced nutrition.
- Moderate and regular physical activity.
- Increasing the tone of blood vessels by dousing with cold water and contrast showers.
- Normal sleep.
- Prevention of stress and anxiety.
- Compliance with the daily routine, rational alternation of rest and activity.
- Rejection of bad habits.
How to do sports?
With severe muscular hypotension, full-fledged sports are not always possible, but moderate exertion will increase muscle tone and improve the condition. Exercise should be selected by a doctor.
In any case, the exercises should not be too intense and difficult, and the load should be increased gradually. And in any case, do not overexert yourself!
The basic rules for playing sports with arterial hypotension:
- Before starting your workout, you can eat or drink something sweet. This will raise your blood sugar levels and thereby normalize your blood pressure. You can also have small carbohydrate snacks after the toughest exercises.
- It is best to schedule classes for the evening or the first half of the day (about two or three hours after waking up). During these periods, most hypotensive patients experience a surge of strength.
- Be sure to warm up, and at a calm pace. You can do simple exercises such as walking, swinging your arms or legs, or exercising on a stationary bike. The warm-up time should be at least 10 minutes.
- Training should take place at a calm pace, its increase is unacceptable, as it can lead to fainting.
- Avoid exercises that involve abrupt changes in body position (for example, twisting, bending and lifting the body, squats).
- Stop exercising if there are any warning signs. Have a sweet drink and lie on a bench or floor (with your legs up). After five minutes, try continuing. If symptoms persist, postpone your workout for another time.
And remember that hypotension is not a hindrance to sports! But you still need to follow some rules.