Many women gain about 10-20 extra pounds during pregnancy. This is quite normal and natural, but after childbirth, you want to return to your previous form again. And how to lose weight correctly, effectively and without harm to health?
Causes of excess weight after childbirth
Few lucky women manage to stay slim after the birth of a baby. Others are forced to be content with forms that are far from ideal. And in order to understand how and when to lose weight, it is worth finding out the main reasons for being overweight:
- Hormonal Disorders. During pregnancy, a woman’s body works differently. So, in increased quantities, certain hormones are produced, under the influence of which the metabolism slows down, and everything that comes with food goes into the reserve. And immediately after giving birth, the body cannot rebuild itself in the same way. And that is why in the first 5-7 months it is not so easy for most young mothers to get rid of extra pounds. But then everything returns to normal. And serious hormonal disorders are rare, so it is in vain that some girls and women attribute their excess weight to problems with hormones. And yet, if such problems actually exist, then in this case only a doctor can help.
- Overeating. Another common mistake many moms make is eating food for two. In an effort to increase milk production, it is worth paying attention to the quality of the diet and the amount of fluid consumed. But overeating is not worth it, since in any case everything you need will get into the milk. And all that is superfluous will go straight to the stomach, buttocks and hips.
- Sedentary lifestyle. If before pregnancy and childbirth many girls and women worked and studied, then after the birth of a child, they “settle” at home and try to move less. And this is another mistake of moms and the reason for being overweight.
When to start?
Many new mothers are interested in exactly when to start acting and get rid of the “burden”. Don’t wait! If you immediately accustom yourself to a certain lifestyle, then the results will not be long in coming. For example, you need to eat right immediately after the birth of a child (by the way, this will also be useful for him).
But with physical activity you will have to postpone, because the body has not yet had time to recover after childbirth. And if you have had a caesarean section, you will have to wait longer. To avoid unwanted effects and to know when to start exercising, talk to your doctor.
How to get rid of excess weight?
So, how to lose weight after childbirth quickly, without harm to health and without harming the baby? An integrated approach, patience and your efforts are important. Let’s list the most important and fundamental points.
How to eat?
Proper nutrition is the first step towards being lean. Basic principles and rules:
- Remember that lactation requires the intake of all the necessary nutrients into the body of a nursing mother, which will go to the baby with milk. So strict diets and severe food restrictions are definitely not for you! Still, some of the diets are available. So, it can be a popular and well-known diet “Minus 60”, reviews of which allow us to make sure of its effectiveness. Ducan’s diet is also allowed. But when drawing up the menu, be sure to exclude foods that are contraindicated for breastfeeding (legumes, grapes, fatty, pickled, salty, spicy, and so on).
- Eat fractionally. Eat food in small portions (about 200 grams), but at least 5-6 times a day. Firstly, this will allow you to normalize digestion and unload the digestive system a little, and secondly, you will definitely not feel hungry.
- Be sure to have breakfast! Breakfast should be nutritious. The best option is a bowl of cereal with fruit or a sandwich with butter and cheese.
- Not eating after 18:00 is healthy and healthy, but not for nursing mothers. Firstly, few mothers have the opportunity to fall asleep at 21: 00-22: 00 in the evening and wake up at 6: 00-7: 00 in the morning (and the rule “do not eat after 18:00” is designed precisely for this regime). Secondly, many mothers often get up at night and breastfeed their babies. And this also requires energy. But in any case, do not gorge yourself at night! Choose vegetables, fruits and dairy products.
- The daily calorie intake of a nursing mother should be at least 2000-2700 calories! Remember that about 500-800 calories are spent on the production of breast milk.
- Here are the foods that will be useful: lean meat and fish, low-fat dairy and fermented milk products, vegetables, berries and fruits, cereals.
- Ideal cooking methods are boiling, stewing, baking or steaming.
- Forget sauces and hot seasonings. Add herbs and some mild spices to your dishes.
- Drink at least 2.5 liters of liquid a day!
Effective weight loss is impossible without movement, so don’t sit in one place! Here are some tips for young moms dreaming of a perfect figure:
- Dress your baby, grab a kangaroo carrier or stroller and go for a walk. But do not rush to the nearest shop, but take a walk to the park. Walk briskly to burn as many calories as possible. The child will be able to sleep in the fresh air or get a lot of new impressions, and you will get a slender figure.
- Do household chores vigorously. Firstly, you will get rid of extra calories, and secondly, you will finish everything faster.
- Forget elevators. Of course, it is better to go to the elevator with a stroller, but if you choose a carrier, then briskly walk up the stairs.
This advice may seem strange, but breastfeeding is beneficial not only for the baby, but also for the mother’s figure. On average, milk production takes about 400-500 calories per day, which is comparable to an hour’s jogging. Impressive? Then feed on demand and do not spare milk. Your baby will be healthy, happy and calm, and you will be slim.
It should be noted right away that breastfeeding involves some restrictions when playing sports. You will have to give up strenuous exercise as it can reduce milk production and change its taste. So no strength training, jumping or running.
But light gymnastics is permissible and very useful. You can choose almost any simple exercise based on your goals and problem areas. But since not all mothers can devote even half an hour to themselves and are forced to almost constantly hold the baby in their arms, we offer you exercises that you can perform with your baby:
- Lie on your back, bend your knees, place the baby on your shins and support him with your hands. As you inhale, take your legs as far as possible, and as you exhale, bring them to your chest, while lifting the body. Perform at least 15-20 repetitions.
- Stand up straight, place your feet shoulder-width apart, take your baby in your arms, and put a chair or, best of all, a low stool in the back. Now squat, bending your knees, touching your buttocks to the chair and leaving your back straight, and then return to the starting position. In total, you need to perform 20 squats.
- Take the baby in your arms and take a wide step forward with your right leg, then sit down so that the knee of your left leg touches the floor, and your right thigh is perpendicular to the floor. Do 10 repetitions for each leg.
- Put the baby on the floor (on a soft blanket, of course), and get on all fours over him, resting your knees and palms on the floor. Now, as you inhale, bend your back and raise your head, and as you exhale, bend your back up and lower your head. Repeat 20 times.
Some helpful tips:
- Don’t expect instant results.
- Set yourself up for success.
- Walk with your baby more.
- Chat with other losing weight young mothers, share experiences and advice.
You will certainly succeed!