If before going to bed you have an irresistible desire to eat, then you should know that evening and even more night meals are very harmful. What exactly? And how do you finally stop eating at night?
Can food before bed be harmful?
Harm of evening or night meals:
- Eating food at night is bad for your muscles. The fact is that with a feeling of hunger (even a light one), a hormone begins to be produced that stimulates the growth of muscle tissue. And if you eat before bedtime, then they will not grow.
- Eating in the evening triggers an increase in insulin levels in the blood, which can lead to the development of diabetes. But this disease cannot be cured.
- Insomnia. Firstly, after nighttime meals, the production of the hormone melatonin decreases, which has a mild hypnotic and sedative effect. Secondly, the digestive tract overloaded with food is forced to continue working even at night, which also interferes with normal sleep. As a result, sleep becomes superficial, the person cannot fall asleep and often wakes up.
- Stress, depression. Sleep problems and constant lack of sleep can lead to increased nervous excitability and mood deterioration.
- It is bad for digestion. The functioning of the gastrointestinal tract at night is disrupted, all processes are inhibited, that is, the digestive organs are tuned in to a well-deserved rest (after all, they worked all day). Imagine what will happen to them if you eat at night. They will bear a huge burden, which they simply may not be able to handle. The gallbladder and pancreas are particularly affected.
- Food eaten before bedtime is poorly absorbed. All processes at night are inhibited, including the digestion of food. As a result, it stagnates in the digestive tract and begins to rot. And nutrients from it are absorbed inadequately.
- A big load on the entire body as a whole. Instead of resting at night, the body is forced to process food, and this provokes its wear and tear and premature aging.
- Overweight. It’s not a secret for anyone that carbohydrates and fats obtained closer to the night simply will not have time to be used up and will go to the “reserve”, that is, to the hips, stomach and buttocks.
How to get rid of this bad habit?
How not to eat before bed?
- The last meal should be taken about three or four hours before bedtime. That is, if you go to bed late, then the rule “do not eat after six” does not apply to you.
- Dinner should be right. It is not recommended to eat fatty foods in the afternoon, as well as foods with a high glycemic index, that is, containing so-called simple carbohydrates. Fats simply won’t have time to be used up and will not allow you to feel full. And the body absorbs fast carbohydrates almost immediately, which is why they increase the level of glucose in the blood and are often also sent to the “reserve”. So what can be done? The ideal dinner should be high in protein or complex carbohydrates. For example, you can eat a portion of buckwheat, cottage cheese, lean fish or meat with vegetables. No sauces, semi-finished products, sweets, fast food, smoked meats and other nasty things!
- Dinner food should be varied. The more foods you include in your last meal, the more enjoyment you will get. Plus, you’ll eat much more slowly, enjoying every bite. This means that saturation will come faster, that is, you will not overeat.
- Try not to overdo it with spices and seasonings, especially in the afternoon. They greatly increase appetite, and it will be difficult to suppress hunger.
- So that you do not want to eat something harmful or forbidden at night, eat it in the morning, preferably for breakfast. In this case, you will satisfy your desire, and all the calories and carbohydrates per day will have time to be used up, that is, you will not harm your figure.
- A glass of warm water will help suppress your appetite a little. The liquid will fill the stomach without overloading it. As a result, you will not feel hungry and will sleep peacefully.
- Try to eat more in the morning. Many do not eat breakfast and eat almost nothing during the working day, which is fundamentally wrong. The body will still try to take its own, so that in the evening you will feel hunger anyway, and strong at that. And in the morning you will not want to eat, because your stomach will be full due to the late meal. It will turn out to be a vicious circle. Try to overcome hunger once, and start the next day with a hearty and healthy breakfast. Don’t forget about lunch, afternoon tea and a full dinner. Then you just won’t want to eat in the evening.
- You can replace your meal with a walk. This not only helps to distract from thoughts about food, but also very beneficial for the body and figure.
- What can you do to avoid thinking about treats? Just go to bed early! Yes, it’s corny, but the truth helps. Not only will you not harm your figure, but you will also get a great sleep.
- Aromatherapy will help. It will calm you down and distract you from unnecessary thoughts. Smells of mint, chamomile, lavender, ylang-ylang are especially useful.
- After dinner, just lock the refrigerator.
- Use motivating pictures or inscriptions, attach them to the refrigerator. They will stop you.
- The right motivation. Understand for yourself why you should give up evening meals: for the sake of a beautiful and slender body, for the sake of health, for the sake of pride, sound sleep or great well-being?
- Try brushing your teeth right after dinner. A reflex may work, because after such a procedure, they usually do not eat.
Do you still feel like eating for the night? The tips above will help you overcome this urge!