A few years ago, if you said that you suffer from real food addiction, psychologists would only grin at you in response, but today this question no longer surprises anyone, or even more so laughs.
Addiction to food, akin to drug or alcohol addiction, is gaining more and more powerful momentum: today there is a deplorable statistics, according to which 90% of women and 70% of men are susceptible to a sudden desire to eat. For some, this desire develops into a constant and stable feeling.
How to tell if a person is addicted to food? It’s very simple: these people are constantly chewing something, and the desire to eat something has nothing to do with the emerging feeling of hunger.
Food “addicts” do not just love tasty and satisfying food, they are not able to accept the reality of the problem, its presence and the need to deal with it, they completely ignore accompanying problems and even diseases such as diabetes or obesity.
It is very difficult for people who are credited with such an addiction to find the strength to fight extra pounds, every extra piece of delicacy eaten causes them a feeling of guilt and self-flagellation, however, they are not able to cope with their situation.
As a result – deep depression and apathy, complete or partial loss of interest in life, in which food acts not so much as a way to replenish their energy reserves, but as a “medicine” for all problems.
It is no coincidence that experts equate this problem with drug addiction or alcoholism, because often not everyone can cope with it on their own, although it all depends on the degree of the “illness”.
For example, it also happens that an addicted person begins to get terribly nervous if he cannot immediately satisfy his desire with the help of his favorite delicacy, since he is used to doing it all the time. In this case, it is better to turn to a psychologist for help, who will help to cope with this problem with the help of special trainings and techniques.
Food addiction. Where does it come from?
It is not always easy to determine the cause of such a “disease”, because each person has their own views on life, and on the amount of food consumed, in particular.
The most common cause is stress or nervous strain.
When you are very worried, it does not matter at all about what – because of an upcoming exam or an important meeting – your hand still reaches out for your favorite chocolate bar or bun, is it familiar?
You are not in a position to deny yourself such pleasure, otherwise, you have to regret or cheer yourself up before an exciting event, and the amount of food eaten at such moments is completely impossible to control, the more the better. If you have experienced something like this, then most likely you are suffering from food addiction.
The desire to constantly chew something can also manifest itself from dissatisfaction in some area of human relations: failures in the professional field, problems in personal life, complexes due to appearance.
All these and other similar moments make the addicted person run into an “alternative reality”, where he draws positive emotions from a piece of something tasty and desirable.
He does not care that this is just a momentary joy, for which he literally in 5 minutes will scold himself, receiving new stress, which again will “jam”. As a result, a vicious circle turns out, which is not easy to break, but it is quite possible, even without resorting to the help of a doctor or nutritionist.
Food addiction, as a rule, is a manifestation of life, which is devoid of deep and vivid emotions, interesting and rich events, positive communication, because food completely compensates for all failures, albeit for a short time.
The desire to constantly chew something can manifest itself in those people who are used to combining food with some other process, for example, sitting at the computer, under the TV or reading a book. It also happens that a person does not have enough free time, and he is forced to combine several things at the same time, which is very detrimental to health. All these little things give rise to an addiction in a person, which must be fought, the sooner the better.
How to get rid of this addiction?
Many people who admit that they have faced such a problem are at first very lost, what to do? How to limit yourself from the constant desire to pamper yourself with something tasty? First of all, it is important to understand that every urge to pull the handle of the refrigerator and pull out your favorite piece of sausage is not at all a signal of your body about the onset of hunger.
Your constant desire is, rather, a bad habit, from which you need to get rid of new and correct habits. Remember that at least 4-5 hours should pass between full meals, everything in between is pampering, which, nevertheless, should exist, but within reasonable limits.
- So the first thing. Do not deprive yourself of snacks, small weaknesses should still remain, this will make you feel calmer and more confident from a psychological point of view. But change the tactics of snacks: they should be very small and, better, healthy. For example, do you like sweets? Please indulge yourself with a couple of chocolate bars, not a whole bar as it used to be. Get yourself small dishes so your portions are automatically limited. At first, of course, it will be strange, but in just a couple of weeks you will get used to your new small plates.
- Replace sweets and gingerbread with apples and pears, dried fruits and vegetables, healthy food can also be tasty and, importantly, healthy. It turns out that you do not deprive yourself of the habit of having something to eat once again, but let this “something” be low-calorie and healthy.
- Avoid temptation. Do not fill the refrigerator to the very top with your favorite foods, the more there are, the sooner they will end up in your stomach. Try to have a very small supply of what you need, and do not store your favorite chips, sweets and pastries at home at all. Who knows, maybe when you want something tasty once again, you are too lazy to run after him to the store. But, always keep a low-calorie snack, something like an apple or kiwi, somewhere nearby.
- Constantly cheer yourself up. Praise for each diet followed, compliment yourself and approve of your actions – you should have a feeling of admiration for yourself – such sensations are no worse than the pleasure of your favorite food. For confident and successful people, the desire to seize their problems disappears automatically.
- Fill your life with new emotions and impressions. It is important to understand that food is not the only way to get positive emotions. Go in for sports, the main thing is the kind that you like, sign up for a drawing or hand-made circle, in general, do what you like, and before you have time to look back, you will find an excellent substitute for your “illness”.