Diet in any case is associated with restrictions and involves the rejection of certain foods. Is it possible to eat fruits while losing weight? And how do they affect the weight loss process? Let’s find out!
Are fruits good for weight loss?
Fruits for weight loss cannot be excluded from the diet, as they are useful and in some cases even contribute to weight loss. There are several reasons for this:
- Many fruits are low in calories, which allows you to adhere to the daily intake of kilocalories and not exceed the permissible amounts. But it is worth remembering that the calorie content of a product is not the only indicator that affects a person’s weight, there are several others.
- Almost all fresh fruits contain fiber, which normalizes digestion and stimulates the peristalsis of the intestinal walls. Thus, the risks of constipation are reduced, and they are an urgent problem for many losing weight and dieting. In addition, fiber removes toxins and waste products from the body, which can affect and increase body weight.
- Juicy fruits have a mild diuretic effect and remove excess fluid from the body. And if we take into account that edema localized in different parts of the body is an extra 2-3 kilograms, then the weight will decrease, and the body will look more slender.
- Fruits contain carbohydrates, which charge the body with energy spent on ensuring normal life and the functioning of important systems. And carbohydrates are also spent on muscle work and brain activity, so it is not worth excluding their use completely or greatly reducing it, this is fraught with unpleasant consequences.
- Dietary fiber found in most of the available fruits, entering the stomach, swells in it, filling the free volume and thus satisfying hunger, creating a feeling of fullness for several hours and helping to control appetite.
Why are some fruits not recommended when losing weight, while the number of others is often limited? There are several pitfalls. The first is carbohydrates. There are a lot of them in fruits, and sweet ones contain significant amounts, a certain proportion of which are simple. They are consumed quickly, causing a sharp rise in sugar levels, followed by an equally rapid decline and, accordingly, a feeling of hunger. In addition, if a lot of carbohydrates are supplied, then the part that was not consumed can go “in reserve” and be deposited in the form of fat in problem areas.
The second pitfall is low protein content. There is very little of it in most fruits, but such a substance is necessary for full-fledged work and nutrition of muscles, as well as for the formation of new cells. Therefore, it is impossible to eat only apples, oranges, grapefruits and their other “relatives”, since they will not provide the body with all the nutrients it needs.
The third pitfall is acids, which are found in many fruits and, when entering the stomach, stimulate the production of digestive juice. This is why some foods in this category increase your appetite. In addition, acids can irritate the mucous membranes of the digestive system, so they are contraindicated in ulcers and gastritis.
How to eat fruit while losing weight correctly and without prejudice to your figure and health? Follow a few simple guidelines:
- Do not think that you can eat as much fruit as you like. Of course, you most likely will not harm your health (although this is possible), but the figure will definitely suffer. Therefore, a day should be limited to 300-500 g of such products. But there are various fruit diets, when followed, the norms can increase.
- Many are interested in what time it is best to eat fruit for weight loss. Since many of them contain carbohydrates, try to consume them in the morning or before 4:00 pm.
- You can eat one fruit ten to fifteen minutes before your main meal to reduce the size of the serving and improve digestion. Another way to use is a snack between breakfast and lunch or lunch and afternoon tea. In addition, a serving of fruit can be turned into a healthy dessert without being supplemented with added sugar, jam, or heavy cream.
- You should not combine representatives of different families in one meal, as they do not combine well, can overload the digestive tract and provoke indigestion, manifested in the form of flatulence, belching, bloating, and abdominal pain. For example, you should not eat pome fruits (apples, pears, quince) or stone fruits (plums, peaches, apricots) at the same time as citrus fruits.
- Fruit should be healthy and easy to digest, so choose seasonal and local fruits that grow in your area and at this time of year. Exotic species can also be eaten, but you should trust well-known suppliers.
- You can’t eat only fruit! The diet must certainly contain protein products and even fats, but the correct ones, namely vegetable and contained in red sea fish.
Which fruits help you lose weight and which don’t?
There are fruits that can help you lose and control weight. The most effective among them are:
- Grapefruit contains significant amounts of fiber, as well as enzymes that promote better digestion of all food components and the breakdown of fats.
- Kiwis also improve digestion, relieve constipation and help burn fat more actively.
- Pineapples contain enzymes that accelerate fat burning and normalize metabolism, which contributes to proper weight loss.
- Apples are primarily available at any time of the year and are relatively inexpensive. They also contain fiber, satisfy hunger and contain very few calories. Well, and, of course, apples are delicious.
You can also include plums, pears, apricots, pomelo, oranges, peaches, gooseberries, nectarines in the diet.
If you want to lose weight, then cut back on starchy fruits and have a high glycemic index, which characterizes the rate of absorption of carbohydrates by the body and an increase in sugar levels. These include grapes, bananas, dates, figs, watermelon, persimmon, mango, melon.
Eating fruit while losing weight is not only possible, but also necessary. And now you know how and when to do it correctly.