Movement is not only life, but also the path to good health, as well as to an ideal figure. And to get all this, you need to choose the right sport. If you still can’t decide, pay attention to step aerobics.
What it is?
Step aerobics is a type of aerobics that involves the use of special equipment – the so-called step platforms. The main element is a step (hence the name, because “step” is translated from English as “step”).
A bit of history
How did this direction appear? It was created by the American classical aerobics instructor Jean Miller. She injured her knee and was forced to suspend her professional activities, but really wanted to resume it as soon as possible. Doctors urged Jean to work out the injured knee and climb the stairs.
The girl followed the recommendations and was so eager to return to her previous form that she did not just climb the stairs, but performed simple exercises on the steps, which then began to complicate.
The results were amazing, and Jean decided to try incorporating these exercises into her workouts. And in 1989, the first professional platform, Step Reebok, was released. Then Jean, along with another famous figure in the world of fitness, Kelly Watson, developed the choreography and created many new elements. Since then, step aerobics has become very popular.
Advantages and disadvantages
To begin with, it is worth listing the benefits of doing step aerobics:
- It’s interesting and dynamic. Indeed, the lesson takes place literally in one breath, and rhythmic music gives a charge of energy and cheers up.
- This is useful. Yes, regular and, importantly, correct training allows you to normalize the functioning of such important systems as the respiratory, cardiovascular, nervous and muscular systems. In addition, exercises are beneficial for the musculoskeletal system, as they help restore joint mobility and strengthen them. Surprisingly, regular exercise can help normalize blood pressure and improve conditions for certain conditions.
- Step aerobics allows you to work out almost all muscles, including the most “difficult” ones, which are not involved in most basic exercises. And what is especially gratifying is that it has a positive effect on all purely feminine parts of the body, such as the buttocks, waist and hips.
- The work of the vestibular apparatus, coordination of movements, concentration of attention, memory are improved. In addition, dexterity and flexibility appear.
- Step aerobics is very beneficial for weight loss. Just imagine: in one lesson you can use about 400-500 calories, which is comparable to an hour’s jogging at a fairly high pace. And training will help make the body more attractive and sexy, and the muscles – relief.
- Everyone can do it, you just need to find the optimal rhythm and suitable movements.
- It’s effective! The first results will be noticeable after two to three weeks of regular training.
- You can practice not only in a group with a coach, but also at home in front of the TV.
Now the disadvantages:
- Although almost everyone can do it, step aerobics still presupposes very intense training and heavy loads.
- There are a number of contraindications.
- Special equipment is required, namely a step platform. And if you decide to do it at home, then you will need to purchase it, but such a device is not cheap.
- Improper exercise can lead to injury. Knee joints are especially susceptible to damage.
The list of contraindications includes:
- some diseases of the cardiovascular system: arrhythmia, hypertension, coronary heart disease, angina pectoris, varicose veins and others;
- injuries and diseases of the spine, especially its lumbar spine (it is on him that a great load falls;
- severe kidney or liver disease;
- some joint diseases.
- Basic step. First, one leg is placed on the platform, then the other. Then you should remove your feet from the platform in the same sequence, that is, starting with the first.
- V-step. It is similar to the first, but your feet should be placed on the corners of the platform.
- Place your right foot on the platform, then your left. Now remove your left leg, followed by your right.
- Over-step. Stand sideways to the platform and place one foot on it. Place your other foot and turn forward at the same time. Now remove the first leg from the platform back. Then remove the other leg as well.
- Knee up. Place one leg on the corner of the platform, then transfer your weight to it, and lift the other leg, bend at the knee and return it to the floor. Remove the first leg from the platform and repeat the exercise starting with the other leg.
All steps are conventionally divided into two groups: without changing the leading leg (that is, the one with which the step begins) or with changing it.
During training, additional devices can be used, for example, dumbbells, as well as resistance bands for arms or legs.
What do you need for training?
So, what do you need to practice?
- Step platform. The sizes of these platforms can vary. So, the width is usually about 50 centimeters, and the height depends on the level of physical fitness of the student and the complexity of the exercises performed. For a beginner, 15 centimeters is quite enough. And professionals can train on platforms with a height of 25-30 centimeters.
- Clothing. It is advisable to choose shorts, as trousers can interfere with movement. Together with them, you can wear a T-shirt or a T-shirt. In any case, clothing should be comfortable and made of fabric that evaporates moisture and allows air to pass through.
- Footwear. It should provide support for your foot, so choose a shoe with good cushioning and a fairly thick sole.
How to do it?
Basic rules for successful and effective training:
- Choose the most comfortable training method. So, if support is important to you, then it is worth choosing group lessons. But in a group, you should feel comfortable. If you are a shy person, then it is better to train at home. But be sure to find a training video, this will make the exercises much easier. It is advisable to choose lessons in which each element is commented and described in detail.
- If you are a beginner, then choose the simplest elements suitable for beginners. Then move on to more difficult ones, but in any case, increase the load gradually to avoid injury.
- Do not practice often. The best option is two or three workouts per week.
- Remember to drink during class.
- The duration of one workout should be about 50-60 minutes. But you should start from 15-20.
- Make sure you are doing the exercises correctly. The back should always be straight, and the entire foot should be on the platform with each step, and not a separate part of it. Correct any mistakes immediately, because they can lead to injury.
Effective training for you!