You’ve probably already heard a lot about goji berries. Almost everyone is talking about them, and some talk about miraculous properties. Is it true? Are these little red berries really that good? Let’s figure it out!
What it is?
Goji berries are the fruits of a plant in the nightshade family. The berries are red and oblong. The taste of the fruit is sweet and sour, quite pleasant. Berries are consumed both fresh and dried (the latter is the most common). The Russian name for the fruit is barberry.
For the first time, such berries became known to the world thanks to Tibetan scientists, who first declared their amazing properties. Some called them “the fruit of longevity”, and this is no accident. Today goji grow in China, Tibet, the Himalayas, Mongolia and some other places.
The benefits of berries are due to their rich and unique composition. It includes the most valuable polysaccharides (by the way, they are extremely rare in products), B vitamins, vitamin E, calcium, phosphorus, iron, zinc and many other minerals, as well as micro and macro elements. There are amino acids necessary for all people in the composition (there are 18 of them here, and this is more than in royal bee pollen) and much, much more.
The beneficial properties of the fruit are so numerous that it will take a long time to list them. Here is some of them:
- Since it contains antioxidants, due to their activity, the negative effect of free radicals on the tissues of the body is neutralized. As a result, firstly, the formation and proliferation of cancer cells is prevented, and, secondly, the aging process slows down.
- These are the real fruits of youth! The substances contained here stimulate the production of growth hormone in the anterior lobes of the pituitary gland. And this hormone not only promotes cell regeneration, but also stimulates brain activity, promotes weight loss and even enhances libido.
- With regular use, the immune system is strengthened. You will feel more invigorated, feel a surge of energy and practically stop hurting.
- If you eat a few berries every day, then you can normalize the level of blood pressure and avoid sudden jumps.
- The active substances of the berries help to eliminate the so-called bad cholesterol from the body, and also prevent the formation of cholesterol plaques, protecting against atherosclerosis.
- Taken in small quantities, goji fruits are able to smoothly lower blood sugar levels, as well as normalize insulin production, which helps to improve the condition in the early stages of diabetes.
- The substances contained here help to increase testosterone levels in men, which has a beneficial effect on potency and libido.
- For sleep disturbances, it is also recommended to eat these fruits. By the way, goji have a positive effect on the entire central nervous system. Thanks to this, mood improves, depression disappears.
- These berries help you lose weight. But more on this below.
- Eyesight improves.
- The active substances of the fruits strengthen the walls of blood vessels and the heart muscle.
- Scientists have proven that goji are able to influence DNA and prevent mutational changes.
- Fruits not only prevent anemia, but also have a positive effect on blood composition in general. Blood thinns, blood circulation improves.
- Improves liver function.
- Fruits have a positive effect on the female reproductive system: they normalize the cycle, make menstruation less painful, and increase the chance of conception.
- Goji are also very, very useful for digestion.
Lose Weight with Goji Berries
Are goji berries good for weight loss? Yes, undoubtedly, and this has been proven in the course of experiments and research. People who regularly and in moderation consumed the fruit lost weight much faster than others. How is this ensured?
- First, the metabolism is accelerated. And a normal metabolism is an important point in losing weight, often it is its slowdown that leads to weight gain.
- Secondly, with regular use, blood glucose levels normalize, which affects and reduces appetite. Thanks to this, the portion sizes are reduced, and the extra pounds gradually go away.
- Thirdly, these unique fruits act on the absorption of fats and carbohydrates. All this is spent on energy necessary for the body to work. This is especially important when there is an excess of carbohydrates and fats, in which case the excess goes straight to the “reserve” and forms fat deposits in problem areas.
- Fourthly, since berries are rich in vitamins, minerals and other benefits, even if you follow a diet, your body will receive everything it needs, which is extremely important.
It is worth noting that if you eat these healthy berries every day, but at the same time continue to eat in the usual way and consume large quantities of sweet, flour, fatty, and so on, then there will be no effect. Therefore, you should reduce the number of “harmful”. Better yet, among other things, to lead an active lifestyle and play sports. And then you will definitely see the result.
Are these berries harmful?
The harm of berries is possible only with abuse. In this case, some side effects are possible:
- If you are taking anticoagulants, beware of bleeding.
- If abused, digestive disorders are possible: diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal pain.
- Long-term use in high doses may cause sleep problems and difficulty falling asleep.
There are also certain contraindications:
- Increased body temperature.
- The period of lactation and pregnancy (it is worth consulting a doctor).
- Allergy or individual intolerance.
- Some diseases of the digestive system.
- You should be careful with hypotension and hypertension, as well as diabetes.
In any case, it is best to ask your doctor for advice before using.
How to use?
How to take goji berries? There are several ways:
- The fruits are very tasty, so you can eat them fresh (if you can buy them in this form). In this case, the daily rate will be 50-60 grams. It is best to divide the entire volume into 2-3 parts and consume a handful before meals.
- Most often, the fruits are sold dried. You can eat no more than 30 grams per day.
- Dried goji have a spicy, pleasant taste, so they can be used as a condiment to various dishes. Add berries to meat and vegetable dishes, cereals, soups and more.
- If you drink tea often, add a few berries per cup and enjoy the aroma and flavor.
- Tea with such fruits is tasty and healthy. To prepare it, prepare two tablespoons of dried fruits and cover them with two glasses of boiling water, and then leave to infuse for half an hour or an hour. Strain the drink and drink it throughout the day instead of regular tea.
- Do you want to strengthen your immune system and increase your vitality? Then make a tincture. Pour 50 grams of dried goji with 500 milliliters of vodka (or alcohol diluted in equal proportions with water). Cover the container with a lid and store in a cool and dark place for a week. After a week, strain the tincture and use a tablespoon daily in the evening and in the morning.
- You can also make a delicious wine drink. Take a bottle of your favorite wine (preferably red), uncork it, add 4-5 tablespoons of fruits (you can use both fresh and dried), and then put the cork back in the neck and remove the bottle for two months. After the specified time, you can enjoy the drink.
Where can I get it? How much is?
Where to buy goji berries? First, they can be ordered online. But trust only trusted online stores, study customer reviews (it is better to contact several and chat to understand that the opinions are real).
Secondly, try to buy the fruits at the pharmacy, so you can protect yourself from counterfeits. But look for large institutions with specialized departments of dietary nutrition, there are hardly any goji in small pharmacies.
How much do goji cost? On average, the price is 1600 rubles (for Ukraine – 398 UAH). At this link you can now buy berries with a 50% discount.
Enjoy the taste and benefits of goji!